01 02 03 RMR's writing space: Original Noise is not dead 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Original Noise is not dead

34
This year marks the end of my second year broadcasting as a Radio Glendon dj, I literally have one more show to go and then the season's over. Those of you who have read my blog before might know where the name "Original Noise" comes from but, for the sake of those who are new to R.M.R's Writing Space and those who aren't but have forgotten its origins I'll tell the story of how Original Noise came to be. It was the summer of 2010 and I had a bit more time on my hands than I usually do. I had always been fascinated with zine culture but, knew nothing about zine making or distribution so, I took out my computer did some research, did some brainstorming and the next thing I knew I was in a camera store buying the cheapest type of camera I could possibly find. For one whole day I travelled around my city by foot and by subway and took pictures of things that captured my attention that I felt needed to be photographed but lacked attention from other people. I didn't know what I was doing, had no idea where my creative project was going I just explored my city hoping to bring attention to the things you have to pay very close attention to in order to appreciate. I had three things at my disposal: a disposable camera, a brain filled with ideas, and a gift of storytelling. By the end of the day I was exhausted but, it was worth it and as soon as I could I got my photos developed and I had a computer with my own writing that went as far back as my early teen years and a whole bunch of photos. As I looked over my writing and looked at my photos I began to see connections between the photos and the fictional stories I had written. That's when I spotted the pictures of two store names: "Original" and "Noise". The way the two stores designed their signs captured my attention and although they were slightly different the two designs were perfect together and I  loved the sound of the two words together so, that's when the Original Noise name was born. I spent insane amounts of hours in my bedroom for about a week compiling together stories and making them make sense with the photographs and Original Noise (the zine and the name) was born.  A couple months later I got my first radio show and named it after my artistic, summer project.
Original Noise is a label that, ever since that summer when I made my first zine that applies to all major, individual creative projects that I invest time in over the long term as a celebration of the successful completion of my first creative compilation. As soon as the Radio Glendon season is over the Original Noise name is far from over. This summer I am thinking of investigating the whole notion of indie podcasting or vlogging (I'm not sure which one will work) as a potential once a week thing (if money isn't too much of an issue).  I know nothing about either but, current technology makes them both very accessible.I'll be back on Radio Glendon next year with a new time slot. I've had such a great time that, I want one more year of broadcasting.  That's not all: after two years of no new material I'm going to work on a new issue of Original Noise and, use everything I learned the first time I made a zine to make it better. It didn't sell very well but, the exposure that it allowed me to have made it all and the  personal satisfaction I got out of self-publishing D.I.Y style was well worth it. I managed to get some indie bookstore to put Original Noise in their store and signed forms that would allow me to get a percentage of the profits if anyone bought them but, that didn't work out because they didn't sell and one of the stores shut down a month after I dropped my zine off there. Original Noise is currently in the Toronto Zine Library and people who pay the 5 dollar membership fee can borrow a copy. I sold a couple copies at Broken Pencil's Canzine annual event and the amount of positive responses I got was immense so, some people own copies as well. I'm so proud of the way it turned out that I haven't been able to make another one without failing to finish it but, this summer I plan to change that.  Original Noise is a symbolic label that will represent all the projects that I work on for many years  to come.
35 36 37 38